Lookout's Positive Haven - World Hepatitis Day.
Thursday, July 28 - Lookout Society in Surrey hosted World Hepatitis Day - raising awareness that an estimated 220,000 Canadians are infected with Hepatitis C alone.
The event featured a drag performance, Runway of Hope Fashion Show (by OWL - Other Women's Lives), live Bhangra and First Nations dance, lunch, information resources, and a variety of live music and performances. The "Mardi Gras" themed event encouraged participation from various people in the community to have some fun while looking after their health.
Big thanks to everyone who attended and participated in our World Hepatitis Day!
We could not have made this event happen without the generous support of:
- Bulldog Steam Cleaning: power washing our back lot for the event
- Training Day Cafe: donated food for barbeque
- Denny's (Scott Road): donated breakfast for the volunteers and fashion show models
- Jessie Khaira Events: loaned the material for the stage and backdrops
- Mac Cosmetics: makeup for fashion show models
- Martin Rooney: MC of the event...
- Tetyana Golata: clothing for the fashion show
- Moe (Surrey staff member) for live painting during the afternoon
- Sisters/Night Shift: shoes for the models
- Hep C BC: funding the event
- Flamingo Lounge: financial donation
- Red FM Radio: promoted the event
- Rodney Olinek (from Fraser Region Aboriginal Friendship Centre): officiating a memorial circle commemorating lives lost to hepatitis